Q: Why is this program called “PRIMED”?
A: Because it’s designed to prepare you – to get you ready – for doing equity work in a meaningful, sustainable way.
Q: How much does it cost?
A: $240 CAD + hst
Q: Why should I take it?
A: There are lots of very excellent reasons to get PRIMED. Here are five of them:
1. Concise, thought-provoking material:
- Module 1 introduces you to some of the core principles of equity and social justice so you understand DEI better; or
- Module 2 takes a deeper look at how / why inequity persists, and gives you a framework for understanding what you can do about it.
2. You’ll be a model for what it looks like to truly commit to an equity practice. (That is, you can show others how not to be a performative poser.)
3. You’ll be in community with like-minded others. PRIMED has its own dedicated sub-community, so you can all #DoTheWork together.
4. Accountability. You have the option of finding a PRIMED “study buddy” to help you stay engaged and on track.
5. Accessibility. Get PRIMED on the go, using your favourite iOS or Android device.
Q: How do I get it?
A: PRIMED is hosted on the Mighty Network for Fictive Kin Equity Lab. When you register for the program, you will be automatically invited into the Network.
Q: Is it any good?
A: Of course! But don’t just take our word for it. Here’s what previous participants have said:
“PRIMED left me wanting more. Even though life is hectic, I really felt like I was able to get a lot out of the module BECAUSE it was approachable / not overloaded.” – A. King
“I really love the approach that you took, of an initial learning and responding day and then a reflection day later on. It helped keep the topic top of mind during the week.” – K. O’Neil
“PRIMED is a fantastic introduction for those who are looking to grow in their knowledge of what equity, diversity, and inclusion really mean. In addition to providing valuable information, the program asks us to do the work of looking inside, which is where transformation starts.” – H. Mercer
Q: Are there Terms and Conditions?
A: Yes. Please read them here.
Q: Why is this program self-directed?
A: Because it’s important that you share the responsibility for your own learning.
Q: I couldn’t finish PRIMED within the four-week timeframe. Can I get a refund?
A: No. Due to the self-directed nature of the program, refunds are unavailable.
Q: How long will I have access to the PRIMED content?
A: For two weeks after the end of the Module.
Q: The PRIMED content is incredible!!! Can I share it with my friends / colleagues / neighbours / massage therapist / family / favourite barista?
A: Please don’t share PRIMED or any other Fictive Kin content that you have paid for, unless you have explicit written permission to do so. (But feel free to give us the name of your massage therapist!)
Q: I have a lot of questions about what I’m learning through PRIMED. How can I get them answered?
A: The best way to is to tag Dominique in the dedicated PRIMED channel on Mighty Networks. You are also encouraged to ask questions of other PRIMED members.
Q: PRIMED is bringing up a lot of emotional “stuff” for me. How do I keep from being overwhelmed?
A: This is totally understandable. To help you process some of the emotions that may come up for you as you do this work, check out these resources*:
- Austin Channing Brown, Wild, Holy & Free
- Canadian Women’s Foundation, support services for Indigenous People
- Firelight Group, mental health resources for Indigenous Peoples
- Liberated Love Notes
- SURJ Toronto
*The individuals and groups listed above are only included here as suggestions, not endorsements.
Q: I can’t wait to get PRIMED! When will the program be available again?
A: October 2022! Subscribe to lab notes – Fictive Kin’s monthly newsletter – for more details.